Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

It's Me - Really!

This morning, while logging in online to the blog site I had a thought zip through my mind I’d like to share. You see, at this moment in time, I have four blogs with two each on different blog sites. The log-in box has a little place to click on if you are logging in under a different user name. I was.


I have two primary email addresses; one for family and friends and the other I use on business emails. They are set so that when I receive an email on either one, it is forwarded to the other. This way, regardless of what mode I may be at the time - personal or business – I am notified when I receive a new email. Since your user name on the blog sites is determined by the email address you use, you can have more than one user name. Clear as mud…I know.


The thought I had was that just as I juggle user names and email addresses albeit the same old me, some people use different ‘faces’ and personalities for different situations even thought they, too, are the same old person. We all tend to put our best foot – or face – forward when we want to impress and try to insure a certain facade but the person behind the facade is simply the same old you. Rather like the “man behind the curtain” in “The Wizard of Oz”. We can blow smoke and flash mirrors but we are who we are and everywhere we go…there we are!


We can fool some of the people some of the time but we can not fool all of the people all of the time. And we certainly can not fool God any of the time! As people in our lives come to know us more and more, they are exposed to bits and pieces of the real us; eventually putting together a picture of who we really are as if we were a jigsaw puzzle. God, however, sees who we really are before we are ever born! He knows our victories and failures, our highs and lows and the very number of hairs on our heads. We can change our names, faces and move about the earth as we choose but we are who we are when God looks at us. The awesome part of this story is He loves us regardless of how we try to mask and disguise the real us to those around us. Scripture tells us we are to be transparent with one another, meaning showing our true selves weaknesses and all.


Somewhere in my life, even as a child, I knew the parts of me that others liked or did not care for. I’ve always seen the pattern that people either liked me a lot or didn’t care for me at all…no middle of the road to speak of. My mother used to say that you never had to wonder where you stood with me, I would tell you. I never really understood why that was a problem, it seemed honest to me. It took some maturing on my part to understand that not all people care for transparency and revelation. I had to learn to play the game I detested so much. Imagine how delighted I was as a born again Christian to realize God wanted me to be who I was all along. He loved me just as I was, even before I started the walk toward becoming more Christ-like. Any half baked facades were tossed aside gleefully and there I stood before the Lord, unashamedly naked with all my warts and imperfections….and He loved me.


I entertain myself with thoughts of changing my name and I certainly can be anyone I want to be in my email addresses and user names, but I am who God created me to be and none of the other stuff matters. Yes, there are still people that either like me a lot or do not like me at all and that’s ok. I can live with that. I know I am being true to God and true to the person He created me to be. My God account far exceeds the import of my email or user accounts!


This is the real me wishing you a Jesus-filled day being the real you in the one and only real God.

No comments: