Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mexican Petunias – 1, Lynn – 0

Delighting in the absolutely perfect weather yesterday I took the opportunity to spend time out in the yard. I can not “do” full sun so this glorious late February morning beckoned me with urgency. I made the usual walk about around the raised veggie bed and dug out some pesky bull nettle trying to grab hold.


Moving on to the Herb Canoe I pulled out the growing and dead stuff of curious origins. We have a weed that looks similar to cilantro that grows profusely all over the place. You can not kill this stuff! Cilantro is a household favorite and has self-seeded for years….this year it missed the boat…literally! No cilantro waving about in the boat but it is growing well in patches located around the canoe. Any attempts to mow that area would take out not only my beloved cilantro but the Bluebonnet plants intermingled with them. Yea, another excuse not to mow or weed-eat! You just do not mess with cilantro and Bluebonnets in our part of Texas.


Dancing around the back yard like a wood nymph in the moonlight I felt so full of energy and vigor I braved the front yard. It’s not a yard really; it’s the downhill side and majority of our one acre. I tiptoed through the native yuccas and remains of my rock garden making my way to the swing about half way down the hill in the one shady spot out there. The view is beautiful looking north-northwest from that swing. Oh the hours, days and gallons of sweat that went into creating a small flat tier to sit that A-frame on! Thankfully the older grandsons still resided here and child labor was abundant. Thank you, Lord, for grandsons! It was all worth it in the end and we have enjoyed many years of ‘swingin’ together admiring God’s handiwork. Ok, we admired our handiwork, too. The ‘new’ has worn off and hill country vegetation has taken a foothold once again but the splendor of the view from the swing still captivates and entices.


To get to front yard I had to pass by my wild and wooly bed of Mexican Petunias. I wish I could take credit for its glorious splendor but they grow profusely regardless of attention or neglect. Ascending the driveway they greet you at the top of the hill, waving their purple jewels in the slightest of breezes. Mine have grown very tall, some taller than my 5’ 3” stature. So, in their time of winter hibernation, I decided this day of perfect weather was THE day to prune them back to a more manageable size before new growth caused me pause and guilt over said pruning. I was singing like one of the Seven Dwarfs on my way to work with the large, long and heavy pruning shears over my shoulder. Today was the day I would conquer and control the prolific beast.


Before I could make a substantial dent in the dormant woody stalks, I was feeling the weight of the large pruning sheers searing in my shoulders, throbbing aches in my lower back, swelling knees and spaghetti-like arms rendering me all but useless. Foiled by my own weenie-ness! Grrrr. Taken down by flowers, how shameful. I was feeling so thankful for having a strong husband….wishing he was home. Twenty-two years of his physical job have left him with awesome upper body strength, biceps of steel and solid arms I have found comfort and security in over the years. My ultimate go-to place when I need a shoulder to feel secure and safe. He would teach those pesky Mexican Petunias who is boss in quick order!


“Oh, Honey……”

No comments: